My current project, dubbed “Project 9000”, is to achieve 9000 (yes really) goals. I have collected lists over the years and created quite a few lists of things to achieve and along with inspiration from a number of organizations (there are people who “collect” national parks and counties and countries, etc), I have put together these lists in order to create one gigantic list of things to do, see, experience, and collect! These lists include:
- Visit 3242 county and county equivalents in the US and its territories (from the Mob Rule and Extra Milers Club lists)
- Visit 1281 countries/geographically unique places around the world (from the Best Traveled list)
- Do 1000 walks (from a list I developed for a website)
- Visit 1000 places in Washington State (from a book I wrote several years ago)
- Visit 1000 places in and around Las Vegas (from a list I developed for a website)
- Visit 891 countries/geographically unique places around the world (from the Most Traveled People list)
- Visit all 418 National Park units (from the National Parks Traveler’s Club list)
- Achieve 141 personal goals (everything from learning how to knit to getting a black belt in karate)
- Visit all 27 Nevada State Parks (and complete their passport program)
That’s a total of 9000 individual things to check off these lists although many will overlap (ie: I may do a marathon in a place and this will check off the marathon from the walks list, the county it takes place in and the state it takes place in). Also many of these items can be completed together (wandering around downtown Las Vegas will knock off a dozen items at a time depending on where you walk!).
Overall this should be a massive project that will keep me busy for the next few decades!